Jamestown 4-H Educational Center, Inc. is a non-profit organization dedicated to the development of youth and adult volunteers through innovative 4-H camping, environmental education, and leadership training.
In 1928, Jamestown 4-H Educational was the first, fully dedicated 4-H Camp built in the commonwealth. The first six-acre camping site stood on the shores of the James River one mile north of Jamestown Island. The site, with its rustic wooden structures, was dedicated to the 4-H organization by the C&O Railroad for the benefit of 4-H clubs and kindred organizations of the Commonwealth teaching better farming methods and domestic science. 4-H summer camps took place every summer between 1928 and 1946 with the exception being the World World II years.
A New Home
The original Jamestown 4-H Camp property was later acquired by the National Park Service for its National Monumental Highway (Colonial National Historic Park) that connects Historic Jamestown Island NPS to Yorktown National Battlefield Park NPS. In 1942, the Jamestown 4-H Camp organization purchased a 16 acre parcel of land ½ mile up-river from the original site on land previously owned by the C&O Railroad. Between 1948 and 1950 structures were built and renovated to meet the needs of modern campers. In 1976, Jamestown 4-H Camp incorporated as Jamestown 4-H Educational Center with a governing body called the Corporate Membership. In 1982, the Corporate Membership made the decision to renovate and expand the existing facility. The improvements and expansions of the 1980’s gave the Center extensive recreational, meeting and lodging facilities.
Today we provide both recreational and educational opportunities for children and adults. We host nine weeks of 4-H Junior Summer Camp, ten weeks of Day Camp and year-round programs for schools, families, and businesses in our local community and from around the country.
Sue Williams, Center Director
Stephanie Smith, Community Outreach Director/Development Director
Vickie Anderson, Business Manager
Whit Rosen, Facilities Director
Beth Williamson, Program Specialist